Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Whole30 - Day 3: Coconut Tortillas

Today is day 3 of my Whole30 and so far, so good. I've managed to avoid: grains, legumes, dairy, sugar, and alcohol. It's been a little bit of a challenge since I'm not using bread, rice, pasta, or potatoes. Initially, I struggled with how to take up space on my plate. It wasn't until I removed those things that I realized how central they had become to my meals. What in the world do you do for lunch without sandwich bread? Don't make sandwiches. Hm, that was a novel idea! I'm learning as I go.

Since my guys are accustomed to eating their food wrapped in bread or tortillas, I found a recipe for coconut tortillas and tried it out. It was the easiest thing in the world to make: coconut flour, baking powder, eggs, and water. Voila! I had a wrapper to hold the pulled chicken from last night. We wound up with seasoned pulled chicken, avocado, pear tomatoes, and raw salsa. It was pretty yummy. Here's a photo. Next time I will put spices in the tortilla mix to give it more flavor. Everyone seemed to like them, especially the carb-addicted kids. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment