Saturday, January 28, 2012

Whole30 - Day 13: Green Bean Frittata & Squash Casserole

Okay, so it was a nice, lazy Saturday morning and I was trying to see what leftover veggies I could involve in our breakfast. Wow! This is a huge change in my thinking. Veggies were never a consideration for breakfast until a few weeks ago. I spied the green beans and the word frittata sprang to mind. I threw those suckers in the skillet with some olive oil, sauteed them until tender crisp, with some spices, and poured my beaten eggs over them. I left them cooking on the stove until the eggs began to bubble around the edges, then popped the skillet in the oven and broiled it until the eggs were done on top. I cut it up like pizza and everyone got 1-2 slices along with a bacon and fruit scramble and some grapes. It was a great breakfast and a nice change up. We're going to try other frittatas as well, like salmon. Yum!


Tonight we marinated steaks for the grill and baked some sweet potato fries with cinnamon. Of course that was all good, nothing new there. Then I found a recipe for a squash casserole in the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook. After making this dish, I can see why it's called a comfort food. I could have eaten the whole pan. Talk about Whole30! It was super simple too: squash, zucchini, onion, coconut milk, almond meal, and pecans. That is one thing I can say with ease - everything I've cooked has been fairly quick and definitely easy. I can't afford to take loads of time cooking, with three kids, a husband, school work, house work, etc. Anyway, here is close-up of the dish. We were so anxious to sit down to eat that I dished the plates before thinking of taking a photo of the whole dish, hence the close-up of what was left. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment