Monday, January 16, 2012

Whole30 - Day 1: First Cup of Black Coffee


Coffee is one of those things that calms me. Historically, since Arie and I came back from our honeymoon thirteen years ago, we've been coffee drinkers. It truly wasn't until having coffee in Europe that we realized how good it could be. American coffee had always tasted like dirty dish water. We were hooked and have had at least one cup nearly daily ever since. We have spent many nights curled up watching a riveting movie, playing full-contact Risk, or reading a good book, all with our cup of joe. With these bits of knowledge then, one would understand that I'm a little attached to my daily grind. We even still drink from the same cups we bought on our honeymoon...awe.

So here I am, blogging this morning about my first cup of black coffee. To say I drank my coffee would be a bit of an overstatement. It was more like a sip, followed by wincing facial pain, over and over and over. Honestly, I didn't like it at all. Where was the long-held emotional connection? If I can't find an appreciation for it without cream and sugar, then I'm going to have to stop drinking it during the next month. I'm sorry coffee, no offense, but without the condiments you're just another cup of hot bitterness. :( I already miss you horribly, but I will not cave and put that stuff in my coffee for thirty days! It might wind up being one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I'm determined not to put sugar in my mouth for the "Whole30" days. :)

1 comment:

  1. Stevia Sweet Girl! Try Stevia... and you can always contact me for ideas... I have been eating this way, though I am more of a vegetarian, for a very long time. :)

    ReplyDelete