Sunday, January 6, 2013

Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe

After walking the aisles of my local grocery store, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods, and finding that every bacon and sausage contained some variety of sugar, nitrates, or nitrites, I have taken matters into my own hands.  I've been working on my recipe for some time now, but this morning it seemed to turn out just right.  I'm posting the recipe here for anyone who would like to try it.  It is truly so much easier to control what you're eating when you make it yourself!  

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

1 lb. ground pork
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1-1/2 Tbsp. rubbed sage
1/2 Tbsp. basil
1 tsp. tarragon
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt

Add all the ingredients to a bowl and blend with a fork.  If desired, cover and refrigerate overnight to let flavors soak into meat.  When cooking, make patties slightly thin.  I cook them over med-high heat for about 7 minutes.  You can adjust the amount of pepper in the mix to suit your taste.  I find that the amount I used gives a nice amount of heat without the burn.  :)

I hope you like it!  I'll continue to add more recipes as I test them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment